My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Return to 1997


Many of you who read this are my personal friends; so this post should come as no surprise to you. Ladies and Gentlemen, I have perfected time-travel. I can go back 12 years all through a very simple game. That's right. I've started playing Magic: The Gathering again, which I haven't done since around 1997.

It all started when Dillon's friend Eric picked it up again. Strangely, he has 14 co-workers at his new job all who play and they drew him back in. Eric knew I used to play and he brought over cards one Sunday and that was all it took for me to want to play all the time. It was extra easy for me to pick up again as I still had a few old cards and Challengers also sells M:TG.

Nate and Ryan are friends of Dillon's who also used to play, and as luck would have it, they were in town the weekend my mom sent my old cards and I'd picked up the first batch at the store. We played all Memorial Day weekend. Well, we played during the times that Eric and Jenny weren't getting married. I had forgotten how much fun group games can be.

I definitely remember why I quit and the problems I had with the game still remain, but I'm no longer as vested in it and it doesn't bother me quite as much. I'm over my ire at printing rarity on the cards directly. I'm indifferent to the inclusion of new, wacky rules which I think are unnecessary to game play. Perhaps I didn't time-travel; maybe this is what it's like to play Magic as an adult rather than as a child.

2 Comments:

Blogger onthewave said...

Living in a small town, it's been easy for me to not start playing Magic again...

... until an Xbox version came out. My deck is awesomesauce. :-)

Thursday, August 06, 2009  
Blogger oneofthejohns said...

donovan! it's jonathan hill! if it makes you feel better, i started playing L5R, the CCG i used to play in high school a couple of years ago.

you can take the game out of the nerd, but not the nerd out of the game.

how's things? sorry i haven't talked to you in like 6 years and then i leave a random comment about magic the gathering? hope all is well.

Tuesday, November 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home