My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Unceasing Voice

I got no work done last weekend, but I did get a healthy amount of inspiration while on my trip down south. Among my weaknesses for old things is a weakness for vintage paper goods. I looked in antique store after antique store for photos or letters or illustrated books. Every photo I found was way too pricey and there were no letters to be had, but I did find a booklet of sepia toned postcards from Milan. The postcards are really fascinating because instead of being one-sided postcards, each one was designed to be booklet with a blank page inside which I suppose would have been taped shut and mailed.
 
I also found a postage stamp collecting atlas from 1934. It doesn’t have any stamps in it, but it is divided into country sections with extremely dated and politically incorrect information about the country and illustrations of the stamps of that country. Some of them are extraordinarily beautiful. When I was younger, I was an avid philatelist because stamps are just so wonderful. They are miniature works of art.
 
On the plane ride, I amused myself by reading Decoding the Universe and You Are Here. You Are Here is a great collection of maps, real and imaginary which has helped immensely with my brainstorming about the FDHS map. Also, Kathy asked for an estimate for a map and some icons for a wedding invite she’s designing; so it got the mind working on that too. Decoding the Universe is a concise treaty on quantum physics and information theory and etcetera. When I picked it up at the bookstore, the salesman made a crack about “light reading.” Whatever. I just really enjoy science. I’m mentioning it here though, because, to protect it on the journey I removed its cover and replaced it with one of brown paper. It has inspired me to make a line of snarky book covers. Purchasers would put in the dimensions of their book in the comment field, with some size restrictions, and I’d also have standard sizes available. I’m really excited about it, but I’m a little worried about the printing logistics. I’ll figure it out though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home