My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Friday, June 01, 2007

Shhhh! This is a library…

If you know me, you know that I love books and reading and libraries. Kathy is all over me to go back to school for Library Sciences because I enjoy cataloging and archiving and making spreadsheets and filing and alphabetizing and all that. If I had any time, I’d volunteer at the library. In fact, I think I might anyway, because I just don’t feel right having “free” time. I seem to operate the best in “always having something to do” mode.

libraryjournalcursiveset1I think that’s partially why I’m always making things. During my week “off” I played around with library checkout cards, like the ones from school libraries who haven’t made the digital leap. I ended up making a series of small jotter-like notebooks. To make each one original, I’ve typed in some quotes about books or reading. I think my favorite is “Wear the old coat and buy the new book.”

libraryjournaltypeinsideKeeping with the school theme, the inner pages are of primary writing tablet paper that I found in the kids section of Staples. I used my nifty, new long stapler for the binding and then book tape for extra binding and finishing. Book tape is new to me. I was buying envelopes at PaperSource and was looking around for ribbon which they didn’t have a good selection of, but I did find this book tape stuff. Essentially, I think it’s just book cloth with adhesive backing. In the future, I can probably make my own with the all-powerful Xyron. My first versions didn’t have rounded corners, but they just look too nice to forego. So I rounded all the corners. Even though I have a little punch to do it, it’s still a big pain because the punch only gets through about 3-4 pages at a time.

I don’t think that I’ve exhausted the possibilities here at all. I see rolodex dividers and business cards in the future and who knows what else. If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to leave a comment. If I make your item, I’ll give you one for free. That’s a pretty sweet deal.

3 Comments:

Blogger sweetjessie@comcast.net said...

Hi Donovan,
I love library cards! You could make your own little library pockets out of maps, and tuck the cards into them.

Sunday, June 03, 2007  
Blogger Crystal said...

These are so cute!! I love em.

Thursday, June 21, 2007  
Blogger Jane said...

i agree - very, very cute!

Friday, June 22, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home