My Photo
Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Have I mentioned I like old paper?

ebayfinds1I’m always looking for old papers and things. Once again, the temptations of eBay have been unavoidable for me. Most of my saved searches start with the word “vintage.” My recent acquisitions include: about 15 pages of alphabet plates from an 18th C book, 100 assorted pharmacy labels, a lot of stamps and papers, and a bunch of airmail envelopes.

cancelledstamps1I have many nebulous plans about what to do with my new horde of ephemeral goodness. Some of it will get framed; some will end up in journals or as the basis of art pieces. The seller I bought the vintage pharmacy labels from sent her package festooned with old stamps for the postage. I can only imagine what sort of a house she must have if she has lots of old labels and stamps just laying about. Ofcourse, it's the sort of house I want!

A couple weekends ago, a group of us went out to the annual Printer’s Row Book Fair. It’s a huge deal and the weather was nice so it was too crowded to be comfortable. I like the Fair, but I always go expecting yard sale prices and they are all book stores doing the selling, so they have book store prices. I still did manage to find a gem for twenty bucks; Wonders of the World Illustrated.

There were other exhibitors as well. At the Columbia College booth, there were a number of letterpress options, but I spent my money on some lovely hand-marbleized paper from Paper Fragments. Both of my purchases are intended to be cannibalized for art, but the book lover in me really loathes destroying books even in the name of art. handmarbled paper

5 Comments:

Blogger Jessie said...

Yay! I got my darling package of bookplates. Thanks so much, Donovan!

Thursday, June 28, 2007  
Blogger ant said...

Ooo very nice purchases. And I love it when people use old stamps on packages.

It also makes me feel better to hear that the Printer's Row fair is not so cheap because I was really upset I missed it.

I love the frequent posting.

Thursday, June 28, 2007  
Blogger Donovan Beeson said...

Thanks Ant and you're very welcome Jessie!

Thursday, June 28, 2007  
Blogger Paper Relics said...

I love old paper too - if you ever want to do an ephemera swap - let me know!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  
Blogger Hope Wallace said...

I love old paper too - if you ever want to do an ephemera swap - let me know!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home